Readings, July 25 to August 23, 2020 Your hands have made me & fashioned me; give me understanding that I may know You, for You alone give life! 24. Fri, Ge 18:7-15. Why did Abraham feel that this stranger’s promise was absurd? At this point, what was the challenge for faith? Is there anything in your life too hard for the Lord to do?
25. Sat, Rv 2:18-29. What strengths did this church have? What weaknesses? Why do some faults outweigh what is good? Is there anything in your life that will spoil your living?
26. Sun, Job 38:1-15. What is the Lord telling Job? How is this exactly true of us as well? How should this reality change our attitudes about life?
27. Mon, Mt 7:24-29. How do we go about building our lives on the Rock? What Rock is Jesus talking about? How conscious are you of God’s/Jesus’ words during the day?
28. Tues, Eph 2:1-5. What does Paul tell us about a life that’s separated from Christ? What motivates God to provide a chance to change that?
29. Wed, Ex 4:1-13. How does Moses feel about himself when God asks him to lead His people out of Egypt? Why did he feel that way? How does God compensate for his perceived inadequacies?
30. Thur, Jn 20:10-18. Why was Mary weeping? What was going on with her faith? What joy did she find?
31. Fri, Ac 3:17-26. Since the Lord granted healing to the lame man, now through Peter He offers another kind of healing to those listening to Peter. Have you experienced this redemption?
August 1. Sat, Ge 18:16-33. Why does Abraham intervene for Sodom & Gomorrah? What argument does he use? Why does it fail? What good did it do? Why?
2. Sun, Ps 57. David is fleeing for his life & cries out to the Lord! How & why does praise emerge from his desperate plight? 3. Mon, Eph 4:1-10. How is living a life worthy of our calling in contrast to what this world considers worthy? How is a worthy life not living for ourselves? 4. Tues, Mk 1:21-28. What was the first things that amazed Jesus’ listeners? What additional things added to their amazement? What does this tell us about Jesus? 5. Wed, Jonah 4. What was Jonah angry about? How does he describe the Lord? Is he right or wrong? What is ironic about his anger? How did the Lord dramatize His compassion on Nineveh? 6. Thur, Ge 20:1-22. What wrong did Abraham do here? WHo did he put in harm’s way? What lay behind his wrong actions? 7. Fri, Ac 4:1-12. What were Peter & John doing when they were arrested? What was their constant principle? 8. Sat, 2 Cor 3:7-11. The ministry of death is the old covenant of Moses; the ministry of the Spirit is the new covenant. What advantages does the new have over the old? 9. Sun, Ps 123. What attitude is the Psalmist expressing? Why is this an appropriate attitude for us to have toward God? 10. Mon, Mk 1:35-39. What did Jesus do when He needed renewal? Do you make it a regular practice to spend time alone listening to God in His Word & by waiting on Him? 11. Tues, Rv 3:1-6. What was wrong with the church at Sardis? What does “not soiled their clothes” imply about most of the church? What remedy is there for the church? 12. Wed, Jer 7:1-11. What dangers confront God’s people? What forms of idolatry do we face? What actions show a right relationship with God? 13. Thur, Ac 4:13-22. What difficulty did Peter & John face? How did they resolve their dilemma? Where do you confront pressure to compromise your faith? How will you respond? 14. Fri, Ge 21:1-7.What unusual promise was kept here? How did Sarah commemorate this event? What kind of laughter was hers? 15. Sat, Mt 5:13-16. What do we use salt for? Of what use is light? On a scale of 1 to 10 (Best): How salty are you? How much light do you give off? How can you improve? 16. Sun, 2 Cor 4:13-18. What connection is Paul making between faith & speech? How does faith compel your words & actions? 17. Mon, Ps 2. How does the Psalmist describe the attitudes of unbelieving nations? What does God’s derision describe? What is His advice? Why? 18. Tues, Job 38:31-41. What is God telling us with these rhetorical questions? What should our attitudes toward God be? 19. Wed, 1 Th 1:1-10. What motivating factors does Paul mention here? How are your faith, love & hope doing? What evidence does he see that their faith is genuine? 20. Thur, Ac 5:1-11. What did Ananias do that was wrong? Was he obligated to to give the money to the church? What did Sapphira do wrong? 21. Fri, Ex 4:14-17. Why was God angry with Moses? What was the most powerful aid God gave Moses? What daunting challenges does God want you to overcome? What aid does He promise you? 22. Sat, 2 Cor 5:1-5. How do a tent & a building compare to each other? What disadvantages are there to camping? How does looking forward to eternity impact you? 23. Sun, Rv 3:14-22. What’s wrong with the church of Laodicea? Can we as individuals have the same fault? How can you heat up your faith?