Readings, September 14 to October 4, 2020 Oh , the depths of the riches of the wisdom & knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgments & His paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Romans 11:33-34a 14. Mon, Ge 14:17-24. Who was Melchizedek? Why did Abram give him a tithe? Why did Abram refuse the spoil from Sodom?
15. Tues, Hb 5:1-10. What does a high priest do as described in 1-3? How was Jesus like other high priests? How is He different?
16. Wed, Ps 4. What is troubling David here? What advice does he offer the world? What advice does he offer himself, fellow believers & us? What outcome do we experience as we obey?
17. Thur, Ru 1:19-22.Naomi means pleasant; Mara means bitter. Why was Naomi bitter? Who did she blame? Was she right or wrong in the short term? In the long term? Have you had this experience?
18. Fri, Mt 8:1-4. Why did the leper approach Jesus (he was unclean!)? How would people normally react to him? What did Jesus tell him to do? Why? How are we like the leper?
19. Sat, Ro 11:33-36. Meditate on the riches of God’s wisdom & knowledge revealed in creation & in His plan of salvation. Worship!
20. Sun, Jn 1:10-18. What rights & powers does Christ have over us as Creator? How does He refuse to exercise His own power? What did/does He do instead?
21. Mon, Hb 7:11-19. How was/is Jesus different from the high priests of Israel? Why could Jesus replace the former priesthood? What benefit does this have for us?
22. Tues, Ru 2:1-10. What new things do we discover about the character of Ruth here? What do we discover about Boaz?
23. Wed, Pr 25:1-7. To whom is a king’s heart unsearchable? Why? How does the king differ from God? What helps a king rule rightly? What good advice are we given?
24. Thur, Lk 14:1-14. How did Jesus justify healing on the Sabbath? How should we respond to real need when it inconveniences a preference we may have? What’s really important?
25. Fri, Col 2:6-12. Why as believers do we not need man-made traditions & rules? What do we have in Christ?
26. Sat, Ps 63. How does David express his longing for the Lord? Do you long for the Lord in this way? How does he describe the origin of his longing? Think about the Lord’s glory, power & love.
27. Sun, Mt 8:5-13. What was unusual about this centurion? What astonished Jesus? What distinction did Jesus make between apparent members of the kingdom & true members?
28. Mon, Ac 6:8-15. What kind of ministry did the Spirit give to Stephen? What happened as a result? Have you ever suffered for following the Spirit?
29. Tues, Zep 3:1-13. What arouses God’s wrath against the nations? What will God do? What kind of people please the Lord?
30. Wed, 2 Pe 1:16-21. What cleverly invented religious stories have you heard that are floating around today? How does God’s word stand in stark contrast to these stories?
October 1. Thur, Jn 1:29-34. How does John describe Jesus? What does Jesus being the “Lamb of God” convey about Jesus? What is John’s testimony about Jesus?
2. Fri, Ru 2:11-18. What has impressed Boaz about Ruth? How was her willingness to trust Naomi’s God (1:16) rewarded? What else do we see of Boaz’s character that we should copy?
3. Sat, Zep 3:14-20. What does God promise to do for His people? What reasons will we have to be joyful? Which of these things have you already experienced? Rejoice in coming grace!
4. Sun, Ps 149. What reasons does the Psalmist give for us to rejoice? How do you express your joy in the Lord? In what way are we to war against the nations?